Minutes of the Plymouth Historical Society
May 14, 2010
Plymouth Town Hall
Call to order: 1:07 PM
Present: Melissa Lynds, Midge Tucker, Betsy Tonkin, Leslie Scales, Adriana Curutchet
Secretary’s Report: minutes were approved as corrected
Treasurer’s Report: no changes since last meeting
1. New/old members need tour of Historical Society building to become familiar
with contents and locations of materials; Midge will conduct the “tour” on 5/26
from 1-3 while building is open; water needs to be turned on- selectman should
contact Larry Lynds or plumber; Midge mentioned that the dehumidifier should
be ready to operate.
2. Leslie asked about the acquisition forms for donations. Midge will see that they
3. Summer Event: cemetery walk in August. Melissa stated that Tom Brown is willing to conduct the tour at one of the cemeteries. Discussion ensued re how long, which cemetery, the possibility of stone rubbings and/or picnic, whether to combine with a hike in the same vicinity. More information will be needed. We may want to explore a program on ancient roads in Plymouth and invite Bob Lambert to talk to the Historical Society about Stage Rd., Hawk Trails, etc. Further discussion was tabled until after the Expo.
4. History Expo: Set up Friday 6/25. Exhibits, etc, Sat and Sun from 9-4. Melissa has a buck saw, display board and sturdy card table. Bob Lambert should be contacted about any other artifacts he might have. Midge will look for pictures related to the history of logging in Plymouth. Betsy will call Nancy Tanzer about materials she used for a presentation on the effects of logging on woodlands. Betsy will also find pictures and literature on the state WHIP program. Adriana thinks she has old logging pictures. Melissa will call Bette Jarvi about using a long, narrow table in the expo booth. We will also take Plymouth history books and recollections to sell as well as a guest book. We will need extension cords and chairs to sit on. At the 5/26 meeting members should bring all materials they have gathered for the expo.
1. Betsy presented a request from Chittenden Bank to register a primary user
for internet transactions. All banking communications will go through the primary user. Betsy will be the primary user and Melissa will be registered as the “highest ranking” authorized user. Forms were signed for this purpose.
2. Gareth Henderson wants old pictures of Plymouth Elementary School to
Supplement his story about the closing. It was decided that he should reference the archives at The Rutland Herald, Black River paper and Plymouth Press. Melissa will be meeting with the school staff on Monday to get more information on what is needed and how the Historical Society can help.
3. Melissa reported that the Historical Society web page is up. It can be linked
through the Town of Plymouth. The plan is to post meeting dates, agendas,
membership forms, pictures and special events. The town has a Webmaster
who may be able to provide assistance. Adriana also suggested that the web
page could post a wish list for items that the society needs.
4. Three each of the history books and Recollections are at the bookstore in
Ludlow. Adriana suggested that we contact the realtor at Hawk as they had,
in the past, given the history book as a gift after the sale of a property. Sales
seem to be moving again at Hawk so we should follow up with this opportunity.
Membership: How to encourage increased membership was discussed.
1. Lapsed memberships will be contacted by Betsy to invite renewals.
2. It was suggested that a table be put up at the town forum on Future Land Use
on May 21st. Membership forms and books will be offered.