DRAFT MINUTES OF
PLYMOUTH HISTORICAL SOCIETY
May 5, 2013
Call to order: 4:05 pm at the school building
Present: Melissa Lynds, Michael Clarke, Betsy Tonkin, Joy Donnelly, Dee Beckman, Annie Clarke
Secretary's report: Minutes of March 24, 2013 were approved.
Treasurer's Report: accepted as presented
Savings account: $2566.03 as of 5/3/13
Checking account: $1800.53 as of 25/3/13
Credits: 1 set of Gold Mining postcards- $10
Donations- $38 from Gold Mining lecture
Debits: Vermont Historical Society Membership- $50
Business Savings Account Interest: $0.10
Memberships: 9 new units
3 single and 3 family memberships from the Gold Mining Lecture
3 memberships at the $25 level
1. Historic Sites map (Melissa Lynds, Barb Lurie and Robert Fishman)
Robert reported (via Mike) that no further progress has been made on the Historic Sites map. Mike will follow up with Robert. It's a work in progress but needs to be completed.
2. 2013 Programming
Betsy referenced an email from Paul Carnahan, librarian from the Vt. Historical Society indicating the digitizing of plate glass negatives continues. He attached many pictures that have been recently scanned and digitized. It is hoped that a slide show of all the Plymouth pictures will be possible towards the end of the summer (August/September).
With the Strawberry Festival in June and July 4th activities at Coolidge, the grand re-opening of the Historical Society would probably not happen until sometime between mid-June and the end of July. It was agreed that the exhibits should be mostly complete before the public is invited to visit.
Melissa mentioned that Farm and Wilderness is using the school building for beginning and end of year programs. It is hoped that by the end of the summer, the exhibits will be ready for F&W attendees to also visit new Historical Society site.
3. Status of Plymouth Album reprint
The cost of type setting for a reprint in editable format will be $1000 plus a cost per book. It was decided to focus on an addendum for the few books that remain unsold. Once corrections are collected, a decision will be made as to whether to print the addendum. Betsy will contact Tom Brown to evaluate the text and pictures for any corrections and Dee will check with Jim Meyer. Betsy will email Barb Lurie about requesting the same perusal from her Mom
4. Signage for Historical Society at the school
Melissa presented a picture of the sign (PLYMOUTH HISTORICAL SOCIETY), 10 ft. long by 16 inches high that will hang below the Plymouth School sign on the front of the school. It is already in progress. The cost of $289 will be incurred by the town.
1. Collections Committee update
The Collections Committee has been packing and boxing artifacts for the past two weeks. Contents are ready to be moved to the school. Large, heavy items that require a truck will be moved first, followed by smaller items and most of the boxes. Melissa will ask if Mike is willing and available accomplish the move using his truck and trailer. Bob Lambert and Andy may also be asked to help. Tuesday, May 7th is the first choice, with back up dates of the 13th and 17th. Joy and Betsy will finalize the moving details at the building and the school on Monday morning. Cataloguing with MUSARCH will begin once items are in place.
2. Designated website for PVHS
Betsy reported that she contacted Comcast about the free, three page website. Instructions for how to access the business webpage were given. It is not difficult. However, designing the web page and uploading pictures may be better off in the hands of a professional web designer. No response from Jen Flaster or Terry Bascom concerning this project. Mike will contact Peter Phelps.
3. Strawberry Festival
Dee and Betsy volunteered to man a table at the Festival on June 26th. Sue Poirier is the contact person.
1. Window coverings
Betsy will price light blocking pull down shades from Home Depot. The hardware is already in place and other minimal cost treatments can be added to "soften" the look. Betsy will contact Callie Stewart, our mentor from Bennington Museum, for her input.
2. The next meeting will be June 9th at 4 PM at the school
The meeting was adjourned at 5:20 PM
Betsy Tonkin, Sec
Close this window to return back to Historical page
Archive of Meeting Minutes